Trek to Goecha-La
April – Mid May & October – Mid November
A land of mystery & myths casting an enchanted spell on the visitor! Not loitering much in the rural countryside, we head off straight into the mountains. The altitude gain per day is rather high, but rhododendron blossoms & a mind-boggling variety of birds help us to set up a steady pace and also acclimatize.
Trek to GoechaLa is an extension of the Dzongri trek. Past the yak pastures of Dzongri through the alley of Alpine boughs and onto moraine ridges, our goal is Goecha La (16,208 ft) from where we can get a breath taking view of Mt Kanchanjunga massif.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Tough
Group Size Small Group
- Enchanting walk through Tshoka’s Rhododenderon forests (April – May).
- Up-close views of Kangchenjunga 3rd highest peak in the world from Goecha La.
- Surreal forest landscape en route.
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Tough
- Maximum Altitude : 4950m/16,241 ft
- Tour Duration : 11 Nights
- Trek Duration : 08 Nights/09 Days
- Best Season : April – Mid May & Oct. – Mid Nov.
- Ex-Destination : Bagdogra Airport/NJP Railway Stn.
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03, Camping – 08
- Food Plan : Yuksom – Breakfast & Dinner basis; On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers & Sightseeing in small vehicles SUV / MUV.
- Transfer and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap
- Permits fees
- Kanchenjunga Park entry fees.
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment on the trek.
- Local guide for the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable
- Travel to & from NJP/Bagdogra
- Camera fees
- Monument visit fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides, porters, camping staff, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveler you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Bagdogra/NJP; Drive to Yuksom (1780m/5840 ft; 154 km; 6 hrs)
Arrival in Bagdogra. Drive to Yuksom (6 hrs drive). Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom – The first Capital of Sikkim and an old historical place in West Sikkim with oldest monasteries, holy lakes, caves, waterfalls, lovely country side with simple villages and few good hotels guarded by high forested hills, a base to explore the high altitude Himalayan Peaks and the famous trek to Dzongri and Goecha La Pass at the foot of Mt Kanchenjunga.
Post breakfast we have the option of doing a trek to Dubdi Monastery, the oldest in Sikkim. A 45 min trek through virgin forest takes you to the monastery on top of a hill – an ideal place for meditation in the serene environment.
Post lunch we walk to the Historical Norbugang Throne and spend some time at the tiny holy Kathok Lake to offer prayer. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom - Sachen/Prekchu Bridge (2300m/7546 ft; 8-12 km; 5½ hrs)
After an early breakfast we start our trek through dense forests and mountain streams. For about 3 hours, the trail is highly undulating with a very gentle rise in altitude till one reaches the third bridge. Half an hour before the third bridge is Sachen, a place where grazers sometime stay. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Sachen/Prekchu Bridge.
Sachen/Prekchu Bridge – Tsokha (3005m/9860 ft; 6-10 km; 3 hrs)
The trail is a continuous steep climb before one reaches Bakhim. The area around Bakhim is a good place for bird watching. A steep uphill climb of 2 hours till we reach Tsokha, where we spend the night. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Tsokha.
Tsokha - Dzongri (4050m/13,288 ft; 9 km; 6–7 hrs)
The climb up to Phedang is over a gentle path over wooden logs, which are placed for the easy accessibility of the Dzos (pack animals). One can see the transition from the coniferous to the Rhododendron forests as one proceeds along this trail. This is one of the best trails for bird watching. With beautiful brilliantly colored Fire tailed Sunbird flitting around in almost all the Rhododendrons. The trail from Phedang to Dzongri starts off with a more or less flat walk for about an hour followed by half an hour of relatively steep climb and then finally half an hour climbs down through an undulating and winding trail. The last half an hour is through sparse vegetation. A day of uphill walks through lush rhododendron & fir forests. Dzongri commands a panoramic view of the snowcapped mountain peaks. Dinner & overnight stay at camp in Dzongri.
Dzongri - Rest day
Early morning, we climb up to Dzongri top (4350m) to enjoy the sunrise views Kanchenjunga and the surrounding array of peaks. The views of Kokthang, Rathong, Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome & Kanchenjunga are fabulous. We stay here to rest and acclimatize. Dinner & overnight stay at camp in Dzongri.
Dzongri - Thangshing (3800m/12,468 ft; 5 hrs)
Easy, downhill stretch, into the valley of Ongladang. The trek is initially a flat walk for about half an hour, then a steep descent through the rhododendrons till one reaches the river. After crossing the river, it is about an hour’s gentle climb to reach Thangshing. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Thangshing.
Thangshing - Lamuney (4270m/14,010 ft; 3 hrs)
Today we trek to our last camp at Lamuney. The walk is a short one of 2-3 hrs, a gradual uphill hike through the Onglathang valley past yak herders and grazing yaks. Lunch at camp. Post lunch there is an option of doing a hike to Samiti Lake. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Lamuney.
Lamuney – Goecha La (4950m/16,241 ft) - Thangshing (9-10 hrs)
We start early today. We climb the hill behind the lake and then traverse the moraine. Descend to the sandy bed of an empty lake. The whole area above Samiti Lake is called the Zemathang Plateau. We cross this and then ascend to rest above a glaciated lake. The Goecha La Pass is another hour away. We traverse the lake and proceed across a slope, and then on a well-trodden path to Goecha La, which is festooned with brightly colored prayer flags. The views of the east flank of Kanchenjunga and the mountains and valleys in the distance are stunning. We then return to our campsite down to Thangshing.
Thangshing – Tsokha (6-7 hrs)
We trek back to Tsokha. This will be a long day but the route is through dense forest where you get to see a variety of bird life. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Tsokha.
Tsokha - Yuksom (6-7 hrs)
Today is a big day as we do a double march to Yuksom. Afternoon free. Overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom - Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rly. Stn. (5 hrs)
Drive to Bagdogra/ NJP airport. Final Departure.
End of arrangements…
Accommodation & Food:
- Yuksom (Hotel Tashigang or similar) – In hotel on twin sharing basis; Breakfast & Dinner basis.
- On the Trek – In small camping tents on twin sharing basis; All meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner only) included.