From the Dolomites to Venice: Cycling in Italy
3 May 2019 To 10 May 2019
13 Sept. 2019 To 20 Sept. 2019
4 Oct. 2019 To 11 Oct. 2019
Starting from EUR 1581/- per person
Few landscapes in Europe match the unique beauty of the Dolomites, part of the UNESCO world heritage list since 2009. The cycling in italy route starts in the heart of these superb mountains and following the course of the river Adige takes you to the palm-lined shores of Lake Garda. Further on, you’ll explore some remarkable Italian cities such as Verona, the town of Romeo & Juliet, Vicenza, renowned for the classical Palladio architecture, and Padova, home to one of the oldest Italian (and European) universities. At the end of the trip, the timeless fascination of Venice will invite you to an exploration by foot and by water along its canals and small “calli”.
Easy cycling holidays: Bikes let you travel at an easy pace, whether along cycling tracks or quiet roads, keeping you in touch with nature and allowing you to appreciate the people you come across as you cycle through the villages, and appreciate their way of life.
A holiday on the move, with everything organized for you: hotels, luggage transfer from hotel to hotel and support – 7 days a week.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Large Group
- Visit the beautiful Lake Garda.
- Experience the mountains around Bolzano.
- Witness the culture and history of Verona, Vicenza and Padova and the fascinating Venice.
- Type of Tour: Cycling
- Grade: Moderate
- Tour Duration: 07 Nights / 08 Days
- Cycling Duration: 05 Nights / 06 Days
- Tour Dates:
26-Apr-2019 03-May-2019 03-May-2019 10-May-2019 13-Sep-2019 20-Sep-2019 04-Oct-2019 11-Oct-2019
- Ex-Destination : Starts – Bolzano; End – Venice
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 07
- Food Plan : Breakfast & Dinner basis.
- Requisite Group Size: 15 Pax
Accommodation: 3*/ 4* Hotels on twin sharing basis.
- Buffet breakfast
- 7 dinners (3-course meals, 1 in Venice)
- 4-hour ferry cruise through Lake Garda.
- Welcome briefing in English
- Cycle hire charges (Standard bike)
- Helmet hire charges
- Guide on bike
- Support van in the area (not following the group, available in case of necessity)
- Guided visits of Verona and Venice
- Wine tasting
- Luggage transportation
- Cycling Guide + Maps (1:50:000) + Road book (One per room)
- Entrance to Villa Valmarana ai Nani
- Ice-cream in the best ice cream parlour of Vicenza
- Local Taxes
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Economy class air ticket Ex- BOM or any other HUB (quoted separately)
- Schengen Visa (quoted separately)
- Travel to Bolzano & from Venice.
- Lunch on tour.
- Food during travel between two destinations.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to cycling team, driver, guide, hotel staff, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
Arrival in Bolzano
Individual arrival. Bolzano is a famous commercial and tourist centre and also a historical and cultural connection between the Italian and the German world. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Bolzano.
Cycling Start: Bolzano – Trento (65/70 km; vertical up 30/250m)
Today you will ride mostly along the Adige River, through orchards and vineyards passing the villages of Ora, Egna and Salorno. The dam pathways lead then to Trento. There is a possibility to shorten the cycling stage by taking the train from one of the several train stations along the way.
The stage is almost completely flat, following the course of the river Adige, unless you choose the more hilly variant through the lake Caldaro/Kalterer See (vertical up 250 mt).
Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Trento.
Trento – Desenzano/Peschiera (50 km by bicycle + ferry)
Always pedalling along the Adige you reach Rovereto and Mori. From here we travel westwards towards Lake Garda. Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy. It is a popular holiday location and is located in northern Italy, about halfway between Brescia and Verona, and between Venice and Milan. Glaciers formed this alpine region at the end of the last Ice Age. After a short ascent, a refreshing descent will follow and lead you to Torbole and to Riva. The ferry cruise takes you to the southern part of the lake. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Peschiera/Desenzano.
Desenzano/Peschiera – Verona (60/35 km)
Today you head to Verona. With the Adige crossing it, this is one of the most important and beautiful cities in the Veneto region. Verona is a city in northern Italy’s Veneto region, with a medieval old town built in-between the meandering Adige River. It’s famous for being the setting of Shakespeare’s ”Romeo and Juliet.” It is one of the main tourist destinations in northern Italy, owing to its artistic heritage, several annual fairs, shows, and operas, such as the lyrical season in the Arena, the ancient amphitheatre built by the Romans. Worth visiting are: the Roman Arena, the Church of San Zeno and Juliet’s House. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Verona.
Verona – Vicenza (75 km)
At first, the route starts out flat and then heads through the Monti Berici, a hilly region just south of Vicenza, with a wonderful view of the city. The old city centre is characterized by the beautiful private palaces and public buildings by Andrea Palladio, the famous 16th century architect known all over the world. There is a possibility to shorten the stage by taking the train from one of the several train stations along the way. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Vicenza.
Vicenza – Padova (45 km)
Cycling out of Vicenza you will come across the beautiful Palladian Villa Rotonda. Along the Bacchiglione river, the route will continue to the fascinating city of Padova with its famous Giotto’s Chapel and one of the biggest squares of Europe “Prato della Valle”. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Padova.
Padova – Mestre/Venice (40 km)
The tour continues easily through the flat Veneto. You will cycle along the Brenta Canal, overlooked by the countryside villas of the ancient Venetian nobility (Villa Pisani, Malcontenta, Villa Widmann) until you reach Mestre, Venice’s mainland. You can choose to stay directly in Venice with a price supplement. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Mestre/Venice.
Mestre/Venice; Final Departure
Departure after breakfast.
End of arrangements…
3*/ 4* Hotels on twin sharing basis.
Venice – Bolzano 280 km
Transfer from Mestre to Bolzano can be arranged at € 65/- (available on Saturdays and Sundays).
Trains are available from Venezia Mestre to Bolzano Bozen at regular intervals. The journey time varies from 2½ hrs to 3½ hrs depending upon the type of train. Advance booking can be done 120 days in advance at the following sites www.trenitalia.in / www.trenitalia.com. The price ranges from € 19/- to € 40/- depending on the time of travel.
Total length: 275/340 km
Total vertical up: 570/1120 m
Terrain: 95% tarmac, 5% unpaved
Train connection among the overnight stays: every day
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 2, 3 and 5.
As a whole it is an easy to manage itinerary, riding on secondary streets with low traffic or paved bike paths. There are light hilly bits with short uphill sections.
Easy cycling in mostly flat areas, with only few short climbs and descents. Little effort required, suitable for most people. The longer stages, from Bolzano to Trento and from Verona to Vicenza can be shortened by taking the train.
Bikes and accessories
Hybrid bikes are available in various sizes in unisex/women’s or men’s models. At the moment of booking, you can choose among the following bikes:
- City bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- City bike 7-gear Shimano Nexus with back-pedal brake
- Standard Racing bike with carbon fork
- aluminum frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system (only for City bikes)
All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
- 1 water bottle (0.75 l)
- 1 combination bike lock
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets, suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61. All helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
All the hotels have been selected mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites. The hotels of this tour are mainly 4* hotels, with some 3* hotels. All rooms have en suite facilities and air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a rollaway.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- bike maps
- Cycling Guide
- final hotel list
- luggage labels to be fixed at each piece of baggage, which has to be carried.
Italy is part of Schengen States.
Note: Requirements & process details will be shared in a separate document.