Cycling Through The Garden of France – Loire Valley
5 May 2019 to 12 May 2019
8 Sept. 2019 to 15 Sept. 2019
15 Sept. 2019 to 22 Sept. 2019
Starting from EUR 1675/- per person
The Loire Valley, also known as “garden of France”, is a charming land of vineyards, flowers and rolling green hills, which will enchant you with its more than two hundred castles and luxuriant natural landscapes. It will be like riding in a fairy tale, in a picturesque countryside dotted with romantic châteaux, providing regular interludes to the cycling. While you marvel at this medieval splendour, don’t forget to try the region’s sumptuous cuisine and famous wines, for a true royal holiday experience!
On this tour, you cycle through the wonderful Loire Valley. This cycling trip is not very demanding, though sometimes there are some hilly sections. The daily stages are not very long – always about 50 km – mostly in the lowlands. The Itinerary is mainly on cycle paths or paved roads with little traffic.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
- Cycling through the Garden of France, the ‘Loire Valley’
- Enjoy the visit to Castles of Chambord, Chenonceau and Villandry.
- Type of Tour: Cycling
- Grade: Moderate
- Tour Duration: 07 Nights / 08 Days
- Cycling Duration: 05 Nights / 06 Days
- Tour Dates:
28-Apr-2019 05-May-2019 05-May-2019 12-May-2019 08-Sep-2019 15-Sep-2019 15-Sep-2019 22-Sep-2019
- Ex-Destination : Start – Orléans; Ends – Saumur
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 07
- Food Plan : Breakfasts – 07; Dinner – 07
- Requisite Group Size: 15 Pax
3*/ 4* hotels on twin sharing basis.
- Breakfast buffet – 07; Dinners – 07 (3 course menu, drinks not included)
- Welcome briefing in English
- Maps, Roadbook (per room)
- Luggage transportation
- Helmet hire charges
- Tour Guide on bike
- Support van in the area (not following the group, available in case of necessity).
- Wine tasting
- Hotel taxes
- Entrances to Castels of Chambord (castle), Chenonceau (Castle and gardens) and Villandry (Castle and gardens).
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Economy class air ticket Ex- BOM or any other HUB (quoted separately)
- Schengen Visa (quoted separately)
- Travel to Orléans & from Saumur.
- Lunch on tour.
- Food during travel between two destinations.
- Entrances to non-mentioned castles and sites.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to cycling team, driver, guide, hotel staff, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
Arrival in Orléans
Individual arrival in Orléans, homeland of Joan of Arc
Orléans – Beaugency/St. Dyé (30/50 km; vertical up 40/80m)
You pedal along the Loire alternating cycle paths with back roads. After a visit to the Cathedral of Clery St. André you arrive at the Chateau Dunois with the beautiful medieval centre of Beaugency. A land full of water and culture will lead the way to the beautiful town of St. Dyé, an ancient river harbour.
Beaugency/St. Dyé – Blois (50/30 km; vertical up 180/140 m)
From the huge park surrounding Chambord Castle, today’s trip continues at the border of the forest of Boulogne. On the other side of the Loire crowded with a wonderful bridge, you can already see the profile of Blois and its castle, the steeples of the abbey and the Cathedral of St. Louis standing out.
Blois – Amboise (45 km; vertical up 260 m)
After the visit of the city of Blois and its impressive castle, you pedal along the Loire river. Here you can visit the castle of Chaumont built on the top of a hill overlooking the river. In Amboise, you cannot miss the house where Leonardo da Vinci spent the last years of his life.
Amboise – Tours (55 km; vertical up 290 m)
After crossing forest of Amboise you arrive in Chenonceaux, known as the castle of the three ladies. You continue along the river Cher up to the city of Tours. You mayalso decide to stop for a visit at the castle of Nitray with its famous wine cellars.
Tours – Chinon (60 km; vertical up 280 m)
Pedalling between the Loire and the Cher rivers you arrive at Villandry Castle, well known for its gardens. Following the Loire river, you’ll reach the city Langeais where you can stop for a break. Before arriving in Chinon you will visit Ussé, where you can admire the castle of the Sleeping Beauty.
Chinon – Saumur (35 km; vertical up 190 m)
The tour continues along country roads beyond the confluence of the rivers Loire and Vienne, where you’ll get to Savigny en Vèron and the wonderful village of Candes St-Martin. A few Kilometres away you’ll see the castle of Montsoreau from which you can enjoy the landscape over the Fontevraud Abbey. At the end of the stage you will visit Saumur, considered the ”Pearl of Anjou”.
Saumur; Final Departure
Departure after breakfast.
End of arrangements…
3*/ 4* hotels on twin sharing basis.
Easy to Moderate: some days flat, others with some hills. Suitable for everyone with some cycling experience
Orléans is connected with the following airports:
Tours: 110 km, Paris: 140 km.
Public Transportation In Paris:
For further information on timetables and prices of the public transportation in Paris: www.ratp.info.
Single ticket €1.90
Ticket t+ (10 tickets) € 14.50 (change to every public means of transportation within 1.5 hours)
For further information on train timetables and prices you can consult the following website: www.sncf.com.
Total length: 275 km
Total vertical up: 1.240 m
Terrain: 91% tarmac, 9% unpaved
Train connection among the overnight stays: every day
Possibility to shorten the itinerary by taking the train: day 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
On this tour you cycle through the wonderful Loire Valley. This cycle trip is not very demanding, though sometimes there are some hilly sections. The daily stages are not very long – always about 50 kms – mostly in the lowlands. The itinerary is mainly on cycle paths or paved roads with little traffic.
Hybrid bikes are available in various sizes in unisex/women’s or men’s models. At the moment of booking, you can choose from the following bikes:
- City bike 27-gear Shimano Deore
- City bike 7-gear Shimano Nexus with back-pedal brake
- aluminum frame
- rear rack
- comfort gel saddle
- anti-puncture Schwalbe tyres
- ergonomic bicycle grips
- Speed Lifter system (only for city bikes)
Accessories: All rented adult bikes are equipped with:
- 1 cycle computer
- 1 Ortlieb one-sided saddlebag
- 1 front bar bag or 1 map holder
- 1 water bottle (0.75 l)
- 1 repair kit per room: 1 spare inner tube, glue, patch, a pump, 2 allen keys and
- tyre levers
- 1 combination bike lock.
At the moment of booking you can also rent helmets suitable for head circumferences from 54 to 61. All our helmets have a certification mark according to the DIN EN 1078 (CE) European norm.
We personally choose all the hotels mindful of your comfort as well as the proximity to cycling paths and any relevant local sites. The hotels of this tour are:
Category A: mainly 3* hotels, with some 4* hotels
All rooms have en suite facilities. In some 2* hotels there may be some cases of accommodation without air conditioning.
When you book the tour please specify the type of room requested:
- double room is a room with one double bed
- twin room is a room with two single beds
- triple room is usually a room with one double bed and a single bed or a rollaway.
Due to organizational reasons, weather conditions or provisions issued by local authorities, the itinerary may be subject to some changes before and/or during the holiday.
Along the way you may find temporary deviations (for example road works) which cannot be foreseen; in this case each rider can decide autonomously how to deal with these stretches.
The Information Pack (one per room) includes:
- Final hotel list: due to overbooking or organizational needs your hotel list may be changed just before your arrival.
- Luggage labels to be fixed at each piece of baggage, which has to be carried.
- Hotel vouchers to be given to the reception of each hotel on your arrival.
- Restaurant vouchers (if you have booked half-board).
- Information on the cities, towns and villages of the tour.
Booklets (per room):
- Detailed Maps of the itinerary: in colour and scaled 1:75.000/50.000, an altitude profile chart and maps of any historic city centres you would visit.
- Roadbook describing the cycling route, stage by stage. Great on its own or in conjunction with the maps.
France is part of Schengen States.
Note: Requirements & process details will be shared in a separate document.