March – May & Mid September – November
This is a tour that combines the stunning natural beauty of the region and offers enticing glimpses into the culture and religion of Bhutan. We start our journey from the fertile valley of Paro and then drive to the capital city of Thimphu. Heading west and driving further via Dochu La, we head to the valleys of Gantey and Punakha. Gantey is the winter habitat of the black-necked cranes. Punakha has its Dzongs built on the confluence of the Po Chhu and Mo Chhu rivers that dominates the valley here. From here we drive to our last destination Paro, probably one of the biggest and most fertile valleys. Besides visiting the museum and Dzong we hike up to the Taktsang or Tiger’s Nest monastery built on a cliffside in the Paro Valley.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Soft Plus
Group Size Small Group
- Visit the local handicraft centres, museums and Dzongs.
- Visit Gantey, the winter habitat of the black – necked cranes.
- A beautiful hike to Chimi Lhakhang
- A hike to the famed Tiger Nest Monastery.
- Type of Tour : Road Trip
- Grade : Soft+
- Maximum Altitude : 3150m/10,332 ft.
- Tour Duration : 07 Nights
- Best Season : Mar.– May & Mid Sep. – Nov.
- Ex- Destination : Paro
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 07
- Food Plan : Bed & Breakfast basis
- Travel & Transport : Transfers & sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Transfer and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Sack & Cap.
- Permits fees
- English speaking guide for entire tour.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Paro
- Visa Fees (Applicable for Foreign Nationals only)
- Festival Surcharge (If any during the time of travel)
- Lunch and Dinner expenses.
- Monument visit fees as per itinerary (approx. INR 2500/- to INR 3000/- per head).
- Camera fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes‟.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveller you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Paro; Drive to Thimphu (2200m/7218 ft.; 51 km; 1½ - 2 hrs)
Arrived at Paro airport, meet and assisted by our local representative drive to Thimphu. In the evening walk through the town of Thimphu. Overnight stay at the hotel in Thimphu.
After breakfast, visit the National Memorial Chorten built in memory of the late King in 1974. Visit the 15th century Changangkha temple. After lunch, visit National Library where ancient manuscripts are preserved, School of Arts & Crafts, and Government Handicrafts Emporium. In the evening we go and see Takin (National Animal) at the sanctuary and go to the viewpoint of Thimphu city and watch the sun set over the city. We drive back to Thimphu and wander around the streets. Overnight stay at the hotel in Thimphu.
Thimphu – Gantey (3000m/9843 ft; 130 km; 7 hrs)
After breakfast depart for Gantey, this is a fairly long drive and we are now heading deeper into the interiors of Bhutan. Gantey is the winter home for the rare Black Necked Cranes. This beautiful wide valley of Gantey is blessed with the arrival of the endangered bird. The valley is prosperous and rich. The Gantey Monastery overlooks the whole valley. Enjoy the hike to the village. Overnight stay at guesthouse in Gantey.
Gantey - Sightseeing
We take the day off and explore the surrounding at Gantey. We enjoy the beautiful the wide valley of Phobjikha with dwarf bamboo covering the entire valley. It is a day to relax, walk and take in the beauty of the place. Overnight stay at guesthouse in Gantey.
Gantey – Punakha (1300m/4265 ft; 83 km; 3-4 hrs)
After breakfast we drive to Punakha. From here we drive further to hike to Chimi Lhakhang, a short walk through alluvial paddy fields refreshes us and we are amused by the story of the Divine Madman, for we are to visit the monastery belonging to the eccentric monk, Drukpa Kinley.
After lunch, visit the Punakha Dzong, the former winter capital and present administrative seat of the district. The Dzong lies between the two rivers Po Chu and Mo Chu, meaning the male and female rivers. Overnight stay at the hotel in Punakha.
Punakha – Paro (2300m/7546 ft; 70 km; 3 hrs)
After breakfast, depart for Paro. Lunch enroute. On the way visit the Simtokha Dzong, the oldest fortress built in 1629 AD. The Dzong now is a Buddhist college for monks. Overnight stay at hotel in Paro.
Paro – Full day sightseeing
Today is an exciting day and probably our toughest in terms of physical activity. We are to visit Tiger Nest, Taktsang the famed site where the mythical Buddhist teacher Guru Padmasambhava alighted upon the back of a tigress. The walk up is fairly steep. About half way through, we catch sight of Taktsang, and the stunning location of the monastery as it seems to cling to the edge of the cliff encourages us onwards. We refresh ourselves with some tea and biscuits and continue upward. Suddenly we find ourselves at the edge of a cliff and right on the opposite cliff is Tiger Nest. We climb the stone steps down to a small bridge, light some butter lamps and start climbing up, the final leg on the way to heaven! And suddenly we are there and bowing in reverence to the deity in the inner sanctum. This is the high point of the tour in more ways than one! On our way back to Paro we visit Kitchu Monastery. A little away from Paro is the National Museum and the Rinpung Dzong and to complete our tour we visit them. Overnight stay at the hotel in Paro.
Paro – Final Departure
Post breakfast drive to the airport for final departure.
End of arrangements…
Accommodation & Food:
- Accommodation in hotels on twin sharing basis.
- Meal plan: Bed & Breakfast basis.
|Place||Classic Hotels Envisaged or similar||Premium Hotels Envisaged or Similar|
|Thimpu||Hotel Dorji Elements or Hotel Wangchuk, or Hotel Migmar or similar||City Hotel/ Osel/ Namgay Heritage or similar|
|Gyantey||Gakiling Guesthouse or Yoe Loki Guesthouse or similar||Hotel Dewachen or similar|
|Punakha||Hotel Tashiling or Demchen or Punakha Residency or Pema Karpo or similar||Zhingkham Resort/ Drubchhu Resort or similar|
|Paro||Mandala Resort or Namsaycholing or Janka Resort||Olathang/ Tenziling Resort/ Tashi Namgay Resort or similar|