Trek to Dzongri
April – Mid May & October – Mid November
We start our trek from Yuksom. The trek passes through some thick forests of oak, pine and rhododendrons and finally culminates in the meadows of Dzongri. The forest is teeming with bird life and is a visual treat for birdwatchers. The sheer beauty of this walk through this pristine forest is to be experienced to be believed. Dzongri top offers excellent panoramic views of Kokthang, Rathong, Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome, Kanchenjunga, Pandim and many other peaks.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
- Enchanting walk through the Tshoka’s Rhododenderon forests.
- The stunning view of Kokthang, Rathong, Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome & Kanchenjunga from Dzongri Top.
- The sheer variety of birdlife.
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Moderate
- Maximum Altitude : 4350m/14,272 ft.
- Tour Duration : 08 Nights
- Trek Duration : 05 Nights/06 Days
- Best Season : Apr. – Mid May & Oct. – Mid Nov.
- Ex-Destination : Bagdogra Airport/NJP Railway Stn.
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03; Camping – 05
- Food Plan : Yuksom – Breakfast & Dinner basis; On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers and sightseeing in SUV/MUV
- Transfer and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap.
- Permits fees
- Kanchenjunga Park entry fees.
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment on the trek.
- Local guide for the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from NJP/Bagdogra
- Camera fees
- Monument visit fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides, porters, camping staff, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes‟.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveler you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Bagdogra/NJP - Yuksom (1780m/5840 ft; 154 km; 6 hrs)
Arrival in Bagdogra/NJP. Drive to Yuksom (6 hrs drive). Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom - Sightseeing
Yuksom – The first Capital of Sikkim and an old historical place in West Sikkim with oldest monasteries, holy lakes, caves, waterfalls, lovely country side with simple villages and few good hotels guarded by high forested hills, a base to explore the high altitude Himalayan Peaks and the famous trek to Dzongri and Goecha La Pass at the foot of Mt Kanchenjunga.
Post breakfast we have the option of doing a trek to Dubdi Monastery, the oldest in Sikkim. A 45 min trek through virgin forest takes you to the monastery on top of a hill – an ideal place for meditation in the serene environment. Back to hotel for refreshment.
Post lunch we walk to the Historical Norbugang Throne and spend some time at the tiny holy Kathok Lake to offer prayer. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom - Sachen/Prekchu Bridge (2300m/7546 ft; 8-12 km; 5½ hrs)
After an early breakfast we start our trek through dense forests and mountain streams. For about 3 hours, the trail is highly undulating with a very gentle rise in altitude till one reaches the third bridge. Half an hour before the third bridge is Sachen, a place where grazers sometime stay. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Sachen/Prekchu Bridge.
Sachen / Prekchu Bridge – Tsokha (3005m/9860 ft; 6-10 km; 3 hrs)
The trail is a continuous steep climb before one reaches Bakhim. The area around Bakhim is a good place for bird watching. A steep uphill climb of 2 hours till we reach Tsokha, where we spend the night. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Tsokha.
Tsokha - Dzongri (4050m/13,288 ft; 9 km; 6–7 hrs)
The climb up to Phedang is over a gentle path over wooden logs, which are placed for the easy accessibility of the Dzos (pack animals). One can see the transition from the coniferous to the Rhodendron forests as one proceeds along this trail. This is one of the best trails for bird watching. With beautiful brilliantly colored Fire tailed Sunbird flitting around in almost all the Rhododendrons. The trail from Phedang to Dzongri starts off with a more or less flat walk for about an hour followed by half an hour of relatively steep climb and then finally half an hour climb down through an undulating and winding trail. The last half an hour is through sparse vegetation. A day of uphill walks through lush rhododendron & fir forests. Dzongri commands a panoramic view of the snow-capped mountain peaks. Dinner & overnight stay at camp in Dzongri.
Dzongri - Rest day
Early morning, we climb up to Dzongri top (4350m) to enjoy the sunrise views Kanchenjunga and the surrounding array of peaks. The views of Kokthang, Rathong, Kabru South, Kabru North, Kabru Dome & Kanchenjunga are fabulous. We stay here to rest and acclimatize. Dinner & overnight stay at camp in Dzongri.
Dzongri - Tsokha
Today we retrace our steps to Tsokha. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Tsokha.
Tsokha - Yuksom (6-7 hrs)
Today is a big day as we do a double march to Yuksom. Afternoon free. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Yuksom.
Yuksom - Bagdogra Airport/NJP Rly. Stn. (5 hrs); Final Departure
Drive to Bagdogra/ NJP airport. Final Departure.
End of arrangements…
Accommodation & Food:
- Yuksom (Hotel Tashigang or similar) – In hotel on twin sharing basis; Breakfast & Dinner basis.
- On the Trek – In small camping tents on twin sharing basis; All meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner only) included.