Trek to Dayara Bugyal, Dodital & Darwa Top
Best Season: Apr – May & Mid Sep. – Nov.
A serene, mystical, high altitude lake situated amidst pine forests with the backdrop of DarwaBugyal, a high altitude meadow! The lake gets its name from the temple of ‘Dodi’ meaning Ganesha. The lake is abounding with trout fish that in local language are also called Dodi! The trek starts from a rustic village near Uttarkashi. Dodital is a 5-6 days’ trek from here through pine forests, Bugyals (high altitude meadows) and deep river valleys.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeCustomized Packages
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
- Dayara Bugyal the heavenly meadow!
- Visit the picturesque Dodital Lake – a birdwatchers’ paradise.
- Grand view of Garhwal Himalayas from Darwa Top.
- Type of Tour: Treks and Walks
- Grade: Moderate
- Maximum Altitude : 4131m/13,554 ft.
- Tour Duration: 08 Nights
- Trek Duration: 06 Nights/07 Days
- Best Season: Apr – May & Mid Sep. – Nov.
- Ex-Destination: Ex – Haridwar
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03, Camp – 05
- Food Plan: Hotel – Breakfast & Dinner basis, On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport: Transfers and sightseeing in small vehicles/SUV/MUV.
Arrival in Dehradun/Haridwar; Drive to Uttarkashi (1150m/3773 ft; 183 km; 6-7 hrs)
Reporting will be at 13:00 hrs at Jolly Grant Airport (Dehradun), we all meet here and then proceed further to Uttarkashi. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Uttarkashi.
Drive to Barsu (1830m/6004 ft.; 40 km; 1½-2 hr); Trek to Barnala Bugyal (2800m/9187 ft.; 4 hrs)
An approx. 40 km drive from Uttarkashi to the tiny village of Barsu from where we get a fascinating view of the snowcapped Himalayan peaks.
This is the first day of our trek. We start ascending a trail through pine forests to Barnala Bugyal. The peak, Draupadi ka Danda can be seen all along the trail. We camp on a plateau for the night. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Barnala Bugyal.
Barnala Bugyal - Dayara Bugyal (3048m/10,001 ft; 6 km; 2½-3 hrs)
We trek on a well-laid out trail through the pine forests and get above the tree line onto the alpine meadows of Dayara Bugyal. This beautiful Sloping meadow is an attraction for skiers during winter. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dayara Bugyal.
Dayara Bugyal - Nimdhar (3150m/10,335 ft.; 16 km; 6 hrs)
A long day! Our route is through Rolling Meadows and rhododendrons. On one side we can see peaks Kalang and Draupadika Khamba and on the other deep valley. Our campsite, which is at a much lower altitude than Dayara Bugyal, is situated in a thick forest. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Nimdhar.
Nimdhar - Dodital (3307m/10,850 ft; 16 km; 6 hrs)
Another long day! First 2 hrs we descend through thick predominantly bamboo forest to Dodigad and start ascending to Sangamchatti and then a flat walk of about 2 hrs will get us to Dodital. The scenic beauty of Dodital can compel any nature lover to camp here for days together. The lake, the surrounding pine forest, the towering Darwa Bugyal on one side and the valley on the other is serene and enticing. The parikrama around the lake is of 1.5 km. A few streams coming from Darwa Bugyal feed the lake. Dinner and overnight stay at camp at Dodital.
Dodital – Excursion to Darwa Top (4131m/13,554 ft.; 3-4 hrs oneway) & back (round trip 6-7 hrs)
Post breakfast trek to Darwa top. The trail starts alongside the stream flowing into the lake. We cross the stream several times till the valley widens and we stick to the true right valley to the pass. The path is through meadows & rhododendrons. The final climb to Darwa Pass is short and steep. The views of Banderpuch and further north-west the Swargarohini range from the pass are fantastic. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dodital.
Dodital - Agoda (2250m/7382 ft; 16 km)
We leave the lake with a feeling of poignancy – the thought that we are leaving behind a place of beauty and serenity is immense. The tall alpine trees give way to thicker vegetation. By early afternoon we are at our campsite next to a bubbling stream. We refresh ourselves in the stream enjoying the lower altitude comforts. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Agoda.
Agoda - Kalyani (1829m/6000 ft; 5 km); Drive to Rishikesh (5-6 hrs)
All that remains is to descend to the road end. The path is through a thick green forest. Dark trees line the stone covered path as we descend to the waiting vehicles at Kalyani. Drive to Rishikesh / Haridwar. Dinner and overnight stay at the hotel in Rishikesh.
Drive to Dehradun/Haridwar; Final Departure
Early morning transfer to Dehradun/Haridwar and final departure.
Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03, Camp – 05
- Accommodation & Food:
- Uttarkashi & Rishikesh: In hotel on twin sharing basis; Breakfast & Dinner basis.
- On the Trek: In small camping tents on twin sharing basis; All meals included.
- Accomodation in 4 star hotels.
- Travel: Transfers and sightseeing in small vehicles / SUV / MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap.
- Local guide on the trek
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment for the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable
- Travel to & from Dehradun/Haridwar.
- Lunch expenses during hotel stay.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveller you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Air: Dehradun is the closest airport in Uttarakhand. Scheduled flights operate to and fro from Delhi.
Delhi – Haridwar
2017 Dehradun Shatabdi: Departing from New Delhi station at 0650 hrs. Arrival in Haridwar at 1125 hrs
2055 DDN Janshatabdi: Departing from New Delhi station at 1525 hrs. Arrival in Haridwar at 1930 hrs.
Haridwar – Delhi
2018 Dehradun Shatabdi: Departing from Haridwar station at 1813 hrs. Arrival in New Delhi at 2245 hrs
2056 NDLS Janshatabdi: Departing from Haridwar station at 0622 hrs. Arrival in New Delhi at 1115 hrs
There are night trains options available as well.
Dehradun – Haridwar is 43 km
Delhi – Haridwar is 220 km
Land Travel (Within Uttarakhand):
The long mountainous journey is very scenic but roads are winding and can be bumpy sometimes. The area is prone to landslides. However, the journey is usually safe.
This trek involves walking for 5-6 hours daily at an easy pace and is recommended for people with a good level of physical fitness. We do not recommend this tour to people with chronic problems like epilepsy and those related to blood pressure or heart or diabetes.
- It’s mandatory that all the participants carry a valid photo id., (Driving License, Voter Id., Passport or Adhar Card) for issuance of permits and 02 passport size photographs.
- For accompanying children above 12 yrs (who do not have a Passport or Adhar Card), it’s mandatory to carry the School Id. Card/College Id. Card along with 02 passport size photographs.
If the client wishes to hire a porter so that he can walk along with him, then an extra porter can be arranged on the spot for which the client must make an extra payment. The cost for an extra porter will be INR 800/- per day.
Day temperatures average between 15ºC – 20ºC and night temperatures can drop to below 05ºC. However the temperatures would vary a lot depending on the season and altitude.
This trek is a high altitude trek and the maximum height gain will be approx. 4680m. Acute mountain sickness (AMS) can be caused due to high altitudes. The AMS may be avoided by taking precautions given in the document attached on high altitudes, please read the document carefully. The high altitude can cause Acute Mountain Sickness and may lead to serious critical medical conditions such as cerebral or pulmonary edema.
The weather can change dramatically causing rain, thunder storm, flash floods, cloud burst, snow fall and severe drop in temperatures, causing severe physical hardships.
Sleeping bag and Feather jackets can be hired on written request in advance atleast 10 days prior to date of reporting. The same will be provided on arrival at reporting hotel. Rentals for Sleeping Bag & Feather Jacket is INR 100/- per day each plus INR 100/- each for laundry.