Glimpses of Bhutan
March – May & Mid September – November
Explore the west of Bhutan in this short tour, with Countryside. We start our journey from Paro and proceed to the capital city of Thimphu. Though modern, it has tried to save its art, culture, and traditions from the influences of the outside world. We drive to Punakha, which has the Punakha Dzong dominating the valley floor. From here we drive to our last destination Paro, probably one of the biggest and most fertile valleys. Besides visiting the museum and Dzong we hike up to Taktsang monastery built on a Cliffside in the Paro Valley.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Soft Plus
Group Size Small Group
- Visit the local handicraft centres, museums and Dzongs.
- A beautiful hike to Chimi Lhakhang
- Hike up to Tiger’s Nest Monastery.
- Type of Tour : Road Trip
- Grade : Soft+
- Maximum Altitude : 3150m/10,332 ft.
- Tour Duration : 05 Nights
- Best Season : Mar – May & Mid Sep. – Nov.
- Ex-Destination : Paro
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 05
- Food Plan : Bed & Breakfast basis
- Travel & Transport : Transfers & sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Transfer and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Sack & Cap.
- Permits fees.
- English speaking guide for entire tour.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Paro.
- Visa Fees (Applicable for Foreign Nationals only)
- Festival Surcharge (If any during the time of travel)
- Lunch and Dinner expenses.
- Monument visit fees as per the itinerary. (approx. INR 2500/- to INR 3000/- per head).
- Camera fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes‟.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveller you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Paro; Drive to Thimphu (2200m/7218 ft.; 51 km; 1½ - 2 hrs)
Upon your arrival in Paro, meet and assist by our local representative and drive you to Thimphu. After lunch visit the monastic school of Dechenphodrang, a good opportunity to picture the monks during their activities. Evening walk through the town of Thimphu. Overnight stay at hotel in Thimphu.
After breakfast, visit the National Memorial Chorten built in memory of the late King in 1974. Visit the 15th century Changangkha temple. After lunch, visit National Library where ancient manuscripts are preserved, School of Arts & Crafts, and Government Handicrafts Emporium. In the evening we go and see Takin (National Animal) at the sanctuary and go to the viewpoint of Thimphu city and watch the sun set over the city. We drive back to Thimphu and wander around the streets. Overnight stay at hotel in Thimphu.
Thimphu – Punakha (1300m/4265 ft; 83 km; 3 hrs)
The drive begins with an ascent to Dochula pass at an altitude of 3150m/10,332 ft. On a clear day, you can see the whole range of Bhutanese Himalayas from here. The pass has 108 Druk Wangyel Chorten. From here we descend to Punakha. Continue driving a little further ahead of Wangdue Phodrang and take a short and beautiful hike to Chimi Lhakhang, the monastery belonging to the monk, Drukpa Kinley. It is about 30 minute walk across field from the road to the temple. The trail leads across rice fields to the tiny settlement of Pana, meaning ‘field’. It then follows a tiny stream downhill to Yoaka and across more fields before making a short climb to Chimi Lhakhang.
From here we drive to Punakha for a late lunch. Check into the hotel. After lunch, visit the Punakha Dzong, the former winter capital and present administrative seat of the district. The Dzong lies between the two rivers Po Chu and Mo Chu, meaning the male and female rivers. It was built in 1637 AD. Overnight stay at the hotel in Punakha.
Punakha – Paro (2300m/7546 ft; 131 km; 5 - 6 hrs)
After breakfast depart for Paro. Lunch Enroute. On the way visit the Simtokha Dzong, the oldest fortress built in 1629 AD. The Dzong now is a Buddhist college for the monks. Upon arrival check in at hotel. Overnight stay at the hotel in Paro.
Paro – Excursion to Tiger Nest, Taktsang
Today is an exciting day and probably our toughest in terms of physical activity. We are to visit Tiger Nest, Taktsang the famed site where the mythical Buddhist teacher Guru Padmasambhava alighted upon the back of a tigress. The walk up is fairly steep, about half way through we catch sight of Taktsang and the stunning location of the monastery as it seems to cling to the edge of the cliff encourages us onwards. We refresh ourselves with some tea and biscuits and continue upward. Suddenly we find ourselves at the edge of a cliff and right on the opposite cliff is Tiger Nest. We climb the stone steps down to a small bridge, light some butter lamps and start climbing up, the final leg on the way to heaven! And suddenly we are there and bowing in reverence to the deity in the inner sanctum. This is the high point of the tour in more ways than one!
On our way back to Paro we visit Kitchu Monastery. A little away from Paro is the National Museum and the Rinpung Dzong and to complete our tour we visit them. Overnight stay at the hotel in Paro.
Paro – Final Departure
Post breakfast we get dropped at Paro airport for Final Departure.
End of arrangements…
Accommodation & Food:
- Accommodation in hotels on twin sharing
- Meal plan: Bed & Breakfast
|Place||Classic Hotels Envisaged or similar||Premium Hotels Envisaged or Similar|
|Thimpu||Hotel Dorji Elements or Hotel Wangchuk, or Hotel Migmar or similar||City Hotel/ Osel/ Namgay Heritage or similar|
|Punakha||Hotel Tashiling or Demchen or Punakha Residency or Pema Karpo or similar||Zhingkham Resort/ Drubchhu Resort or similar|
|Paro||Mandala Resort or Namsaycholing or Janka Resort||Olathang/ Tenziling Resort/ Tashi Namgay Resort or similar|