Dagala Thousand Lakes Trek
March – May & Mid September – November
This trek introduces us to the beauty of Bhutan. Its rugged landscape, the towering trees, the varied flora and fauna are the impressions that it will leave you with. We start the trek some distance from Paro at Geynekha. Enroute we do a day excursion to visit the lakes Relitsho, Hentsho or Jametsho. If we are lucky on a clear day we will also get good views of all the Himalayan greats: Everest and Kanchenjunga: the whole range will rise majestically in the distance.
We will fly into wonderful Paro before the trek, and then visit the sights of Thimphu. The exotic, ochre monasteries, ancient Dzongs (forts), unique architecture, and strong Tibetan Buddhist, or Lamaist traditions and warm Bhutanese people make this journey into the heart of Bhutan a truly incredible one.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
- Visit to the famed Tiger Nest Monastery.
- Visit to Relitsho, Hentsho or Jametsho Lake.
- Paro & Thimphu sightseeing.
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Moderate
- Maximum Altitude : 4600m/15,093 ft.
- Tour Duration : 08 Nights
- Trek Duration : 04 Nights/05 Days
- Best Season : Mar. – May & Mid Sep. – Nov.
- Ex-Destination : Paro
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 04, Camping – 04 nights
- Food Plan : Thimphu & Paro – Bed & Breakfast basis; On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Trek transfers in SUV/MUV.
- Trek and other internal transfers in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack and Cap.
- Permits fees.
- English speaking guide for entire tour.
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment for the trek.
- Sleeping Bag
- Local Guide/Trek leader on the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Paro.
- Visa Fees (Applicable for Foreign Nationals only).
- Festival Surcharge (if any during the time of travel).
- Lunch and Dinner expenses at Thimphu and Paro.
- Monument visit fees as per itinerary (approx. INR 2500/- to INR 3000/- per head).
- Camera fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance; such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due extension/change of the itinerary, because of natural calamities, flight delays/cancellations, road blocks, vehicle breakdown, etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveller you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Paro (2300m/7546 ft.)
Arrival at Paro Airport and check-in hotel. Overnight stay at hotel in Paro.
Paro – Excursion to Taktshang Monastery & back
Today post breakfast we visit the famed Tiger Nest monastery (Taktshang), perched on the side of a sheer cliff 900m above the floor of Paro valley, the famed site where the mythical Buddhist teacher Guru Padmasambhava alighted upon the back of a tigress. The walk up is fairly steep about half way through we catch sight of Taktshang and the stunning location of the monastery as it seems to cling to the edge of the cliff encourages us onwards. We refresh ourselves with some tea and biscuits and continue upward. Suddenly we find ourselves at the edge of a cliff and right on the opposite cliff is Tiger’s Nest (3140m/10,302 ft.). We descend the stone steps down to a small bridge light some butter lamps and start climbing up, the final leg on the way to heaven! And suddenly we are there and bowing in reverence to the deity in the inner sanctum. It takes us about 2 – 2½ hrs to reach here. On our way back to Paro we visit Kyichu Monastery. A little away from Paro is the National Museum and the Rinpung Dzong; and we visit them. We head back to the hotel. Overnight stay at hotel in Paro.
Drive to Geynekha (2950m/9679 ft; 38 km; 2 - 2½ hrs); Trek to Gur (3290m/10,795 ft; 4 hrs)
The start point of trek (Geynekha) is about 2 – 2½ hours’ drive from Paro, on an unpaved road. The villages of this region produce the famous Matsutake and Chanterelle mushrooms. The first day walk is all through terraced fields and coniferous vegetation. We enjoy good views of the Paro valley. We have a true communion with the nature with alpine flora and plenty of birds. Two hours of gradual uphill walk and rest on top of a huge rock platform, offers a picturesque view of the valley. Another two hours of walk leads to camp at Gur amongst abundance of flowers. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Gur.
Gur – Dagala Pass - Shepherd Camp (7 hrs)
We climb from Gur to the Dagala pass (4400m/14,436 ft.) and descend through towards Labatamba. Today’s trek is amidst flowers and meadows. The pass offers spectacular view of the entire Dagala range, meadows and yak herders camp. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Shepherd Camp.
Shepherd Camp - Labatamba (4300m/14,108 ft; 5 hrs)
We take a circuitous route to Labatamba and visit the many lakes in the area like Relitsho, Hentsho or Jametsho Lake. Camp at altitude 4300m near Utsho Lake where plenty of golden trout flourish. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Labatamba.
Labatama – Gur (12 km; 5 - 6 hrs)
Today we retrace our steps back to Gur. Dinner and overnight stay at Camp in Gur.
Gur - Geynekha (2 - 3 hrs); Drive to Thimphu (32 km; 1½ - 2 hrs)
We trek back to Geynekha and drive to Thimphu by lunch time. Evening free to roam about in Thimphu and explore the markets. Overnight stay at hotel in Thimphu.
Post breakfast we do some sightseeing in Thimphu like Trashi Chhoe Dzong or the painting school, etc. Overnight stay at hotel in Thimphu.
Thimphu - Paro (51 km; 1½ - 2 hrs); Final Departure
Post breakfast depart for the Paro Airport for final departure.
End of arrangements…
Accommodation & Food:
- Accommodation at Thimphu & Paro: In hotels on twin sharing basis; Bed & Breakfast basis.
- On the trek: In small camping tents on twin sharing basis; All meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner only) included.
|Place||Classic Hotels Envisaged or similar||Premium Hotels Envisaged or Similar|
|Paro||Mandala Resort or Namsaycholing or Janka Resort||Olathang/ Tenziling Resort/ Tashi Namgay Resort or similar|
|Thimphu||Hotel Dorji Elements or Hotel Wangchuk, or Hotel Migmar or similar||City Hotel/ Osel/ Namgay Heritage or similar|