West Arunachal Cultural Circuit
15-Mar-2019 to 24-Mar-2019
Dense virgin forests, spectacular snowcapped mountains, gushing rivers cutting deep gorges; few other places in the world come close to the raw, rugged beauty of Arunachal Pradesh. The area to the west of the Kameng River, which includes Bomdila and Tawang, is referred to as West Arunachal. This part of Arunachal is mainly dominated by the Monpas, a benevolent Buddhist tribe.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Soft Plus
Group Size Small Group
- Visit the very picturesque and serene Sangti Valley near Dirang.
- Enjoy the stunning glacial lakes around Tawang.
- Visit the Tawang Monastery, Urgelling Monastery in Tawang & Gentse Gaden Rabgyel Lling monastery in Bomdila.
- Unwind in Nameri.
- Type of Tour : Road Trip
- Grade : Soft+
- Altitude : 4170m/13,682 ft.
- Tour Duration : 09 Nights/10 Days
- Tour Date : 15-Mar-2019 to 24-Mar-2019
- Ex-Destination : Guwahati
- Reporting Time & Venue : 14:00 hrs at Guwahati Airport / Railway Station
- Dispersal Time & Venue : 12:00 hrs at Guwahati Airport / Railway Station
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 08, Semi-Luxury Tented Campsite – 01.
- Food Plan : All meals including dinner on day 01 to breakfast on day 10.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers and sightseeing in Innova / Xylo.
- Tour Cost per Person : INR 66,950/-
- Requisite Group Size : 08 pax.
- Transfers and sightseeing in Innova / Xylo (5 pax in one vehicle).
- Complimentary Sack & Cap.
- English speaking local guide.
- Entry fees as per itinerary.
- Inner line permit fees.
- One experienced Tour Leader from “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.”
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Guwahati.
- Rafting in Nameri.
- Camera Fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or for independent small groups you can check our packages.
Arrival in Guwahati; Drive to Tezpur (175 km; 5-6 hrs)
Reach Guwahati airport by 2.00 pm and drive to Tezpur an important tea centre and an old town with sacred temples related to myths and legends of Hindu epics. The afternoon will be free at leisure to explore the town and go for a stroll on Agnigarh hill by the riverside and enjoy the sunset view over the Brahmaputra. Dinner and overnight stay at a hotel in Tezpur.
Your stay will be at Heritage Tezpur or Hotel Kalash with standard amenities.
Tezpur - Dirang (195 km; 6-7 hrs)
An hour’s drive gets us to Bhalokpong, the gateway to Arunachal. Soon after we take a halt at the Tipi Orchid centre, marveling the rich diversity of orchids Arunachal has to offer (Optional). From here our road winds up the Kameng river, through dense forests. Dinner and overnight stay at Hotel in Dirang.
You’ll stay at Norphel Retreat or Hotel Pemaling with standard amenities.
After breakfast we drive to the historic village of Thembang to see the Monpa architecture in all its glory. A walk through the old fort gives us an understanding of the history of this village. From here we drive into the serene Sangti valley to have a completely different feel of the place and its people. This picture perfect valley seems like a place straight out of fairy tales. Its serenity accentuated by the lazy meandering of the Sangti river through the broad open valley, patched with golden paddy fields and slender pines. Typical stone houses built by the Monpas over here, lend a very special charm to this place. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Dirang.
Dirang - Tawang (3048m/10,000 ft.; 145 km; 6-7 hrs)
We commence the most scenic drive of our tour early in the morning. Our road keeps climbing up all the way till Sela pass offering some grand panoramas of the region. Take a brief halt at the 4170m/13,682 ft. Sela pass, admiring the beautiful lake and its surroundings. On the way we stop at Jung waterfalls and Jaswantgarh War Memorial. Enjoy hot tea and snacks served at the army camps for travellers. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Tawang.
Your stay will be at Mon Paradise or Dekyi Pelbar with standard amenities.
Visit Tawang Gompa, the biggest Buddhist monastery in India. The historic monastery has more than four hundred monks and also has a museum of religious and cultural artefacts. Then, enjoy a walk to Ani Gonpa nunnery and also visit Urgyeling monastery, the birthplace of the Dalai Lama VI. One can also visit Craft Centre of the Monpa tribe and the emporium nearby, good opportunity to buy handicrafts directly from the artisans. Later, visit the Tawang War Memorial and the beautiful Khinmey monastery. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Tawang.
Go on a long day trip towards Bum-La pass (3 hours) near China border to enjoy landscape photography of the high altitude lakes such as Tsongatser Lake (popularly known as Madhuri Lake), PT Lake, Y-point, Taktsang monastery and other viewpoints. Return by sunset. Bum-La trip is subjected to permission from the army. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Tawang.
Tawang - Bomdila (165 km; 7-8 hrs)
Commence our return journey by driving back to Bomdila. Visit the Gentse Gaden Rabgyel Lling monastery in Bomdila which was constructed by the 12th reincarnate of Tsona Gontse Rimpoche in 1965 – 66. The Gompa is a replica of Tsona Gontse Monastery at Tsona in South Tibet, established during 15th century. Experience a homestay with a local Monpa family and try their ethnic cuisine prepared from fresh organic produce from their farm.
Your stay will be in a family run guest house near the monastery.
Bomdila - Nameri (120 km; 5-6 hrs)
Today we finally return back to the plains of Assam, bringing to an end a memorable trip. The streams and swamps around Nameri make it a good destination to spot migratory birds. The rare White Winged Wood Duck, the state bird of Assam can be spotted here. The eco-tourism lodges here are involved with conservation projects, sometimes they also organize wildlife programs for the guests. En route, visit the beautiful Rupa monastery and villages of Sherdukpen tribe in Tenga valley, optional.
Your stay will be at Eco Camp tents or Jia Bhoroli cottage with basic amenities.
Nameri - Guwahati (190 km; 5-6 hrs)
Cross the river on country boats and go for an early morning guided nature walk for birding. Walk through the canopy of old trees to spot birds such as Imperial pigeon, Ibis Bill, Himalayan Kingfisher, Black-necked cranes and many more species of birds from the watchtowers. It is also sometimes possible to see Pygmy hog, Wild boars, Hog deer, elephants, bears and Gecko lizards during the forest trek. Return for breakfast, then travel to Guwahati (5 hours). Later, go for a sunset cruise on the Brahmaputra. The evening will be free at leisure to purchase souvenirs and handicrafts from the handloom emporiums in the city or try local cuisine for dinner.
Your stay will be at Hotel Rains Inn or Aariyan Atithya studio apartment.
Guwahati; Final Departure
After breakfast, transfer to airport for departure. If time permits, en route, visit the historic Kamakhya temple atop Nilachal hill, the main landmark of Guwahati. End of tour.
End of arrangements…
- Tezpur, Dirang, Tawang & Guwahati: In hotels on twin sharing basis.
- Bomdilla – In homestay on twin sharing basis.
- Nameri: In a Semi Luxury Tented Campsite on twin sharing basis.
- All meals including dinner on day 01 to breakfast on day 10.