Trek to Hampta Pass – Chandratal
Best Season: June – September
Starting from INR 49,250/- per person.
Dense pine forests, beautiful meadows, adrenaline pumping river crossings and a high altitude Hampta pass; this part of the trek is a beginner’s delight. This passage to Lahaul & Spiti valley offers great views and some unforgettable trekking experience. We continue further by vehicle from Chhatru to Batal and further to the beautiful and serene Chandratal.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeCustomized Packages
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
- A short trek over the Hampta Pass offering beautiful views of Hanuman Tibba, Deo Tibba, Indrasan.
- Visit Chandratal lake
- Type of Tour: Treks & Walks
- Grade: Moderate
- Maximum Altitude : 4270m/14,010 ft.
- Tour Duration: 07 Nights
- Trek Duration: 03 Nights/04 Days
- Best Season: June – Sep.
- Ex-Destination: Manali
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03, Camping – 04
- Food Plan: Solang – Breakfast & Dinner basis; On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers & sightseeing in small vehicles / SUV / MUV.
Arrival in Manali; Drive to Solang (2560m/8400 ft.; 13 km; 30 min.)
Arrival in Manali. Drive to Solang and check in hotel and relax. We have an option of doing a small excursion to Anjani Mahadev 45 min. – 1 hrs walk from Solang in the afternoon. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Solang.
Solang – Acclimatization Day
Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Solang.
Solang - Setan via Prini (2710m/8892 ft.; 26.5 km; 1 hr); Trek to Chikka (3270m/10,729 ft.; 5 - 6 hrs)
After breakfast we drive to Setan or a little ahead, the starting point of the trek. The route passes through meadows, a few river streams and follows the Hampta river to reach the meadows at Chikka. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Chikka.
Chikka – Bhalu ka Ghera (3700m/12,140 ft; 13 km; 3 - 4 hrs)
After the breakfast, trek to Bhalu ka Ghera, 13 km from Chikka. Today will be a fairly moderate walk through meadows and offering excellent views. Bhalu ka Ghera is literally translated as Bears Camp and small brown bears use the caves around to hibernate in the winter. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Bhalu ka Ghera.
Bhalu ka Ghera - Hampta Pass (4270m/14,010 ft.) – Shea Gheru (3750m/12,304 ft; 12 km; 7 - 8 hrs)
This is a challenging day and the climb to the top is about 3-4 hours. The top of the pass offers some breathtaking views of the mountain ranges including some peaks like Deo Tibba & Indrasen. From here a steep descent gets us to our campsite at Shea Gheru. Dinner and overnight stay in camp at Shea Gheru.
Shea Gheru – Chhatru (3360m/11,024 ft; 3 - 4 hrs); Drive to Chandratal (4270m/14,010 ft; 55 km; 3 - 4 hrs)
Trek down to the river over a difficult path after crossing the river early in the morning. On the other side of the river, the path descends in zigzag form till we reach the mighty Chandra River. Cross over a bridge and trek further to Chhatru. We may have to walk the last 2-3 km to Chandratal if the road is not proper. Dinner and overnight stay in camp before Chandratal.
Chandratal - Solang (2560m/8400 ft; 125 km; 6 - 7 hrs)
Today we cross the Rohtang pass into the green Kullu valley to reach Solang. Overnight stay in hotel at Solang.
Solang - Manali; Final Departure
Post breakfast, drop to Manali for final departure.
Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03, Camping – 04
- Accommodation & Food:
- Solang: In a hotel on twin sharing basis; Breakfast & Dinner basis.
- On the trek: In small camping tents on twin sharing basis; All meals included. (Meals include: Breakfast, lunch & dinner only).
- Travel: Transfers and sightseeing in small vehicles, SUV / MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap.
- Local guide on the trek.
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment for the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Manali.
- Lunch expenses at Solang.
- Food during travel between two destinations.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance, such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveller you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Minimum 18 years completed.
Air: The nearest Airport to Manali is near Kullu, Bhuntar Airport (40 km). There are daily flights from Delhi to Kullu and back. One can choose to fly to Chandigarh and then drive to Solang. We can arrange for the pickup and drop at an additional cost. Flights to Bhuntar are subject to weather condition, so it is advised that, you should book your return international flight 2 – 3 days after your expected date of arrival in New Delhi.
Road: Delhi – Manali is at a distance of 595 km (14 hrs). There are Semi Sleeper AC Volvo coaches that operate on this route (Operated by HP Tourism and private operators).
Reach Delhi by Rail or Air: Delhi – Manali by Semi Sleeper Volvo Bus costs approx. ₹ 1500/-
Reach Chandigarh by Rail or Air: Chandigarh – Solang (335 km; 9 – 10 hrs) by taxi. We can arrange for the pickup and drop at an additional cost.
Manali – Solang (13 km; 20 – 30 min.). Taxis are available at the place where HPTDC Bus or private buses halt in Manali or at the Bus Stand 500m away, from where the local buses operate.
Land Travel (within Himachal Pradesh):
The long mountainous journey is very scenic but roads are winding and can be bumpy sometimes. The area is prone to landslides. However the journey is usually safe.
This trek involves walking for 4 – 5 hours daily at an easy pace and on a few days upto 6 – 7 hrs or more; it is recommended for people with an extremely good level of physical fitness. We do not recommend this tour to people with chronic problems like epilepsy and those related to blood pressure or heart.
It’s mandatory that all the participants carry a valid photo id., (Driving License, Voter Id., Passport or Adhar Card) for issuance of permits and 02 passport size photographs.
If the client wishes to hire a porter so that he can walk along with him, then an extra porter can be arranged on the spot for which the client must make an extra payment. The cost for an extra porter will be ₹ 800/- per day.
Day temperatures average between 15ºC – 20ºC and night temperatures can drop to below 5ºC. However the temperatures would vary a lot depending on the season and altitude.
This trek is a high altitude trek and the maximum height gain will be approx. 4270m. Acute mountain sickness (AMS) can be caused due to high altitudes. The AMS may be avoided by taking precautions given in the document attached on high altitudes, please read the document carefully. The high altitude can cause Acute Mountain Sickness and may lead to serious critical medical conditions such as cerebral or pulmonary edema.
The weather can change dramatically causing rain, thunder storm, flash floods, cloud burst, snow fall and severe drop in temperatures, causing severe physical hardships.
- Sleeping bag and Feather jackets can be hired on written request in advance atleast 10 days prior to date of reporting. The same will be provided on arrival at reporting hotel. Rentals for Sleeping Bag & Feather Jacket is INR 100/- per day each plus INR 100/- each for laundry.
- The long mountainous journey is very scenic but roads are winding and can be bumpy sometimes. The area is prone to landslides. However the journey is usually safe.
Our effort is to give a clear idea about the various aspects of the tour, to avoid any misunderstanding during the tour. We request you to please read the General Information, Booking Conditions, Travel Information for Himachal Pradesh, AMS Note and Kit List.