Markha Valley Trek With Homestay
Mid June – September
Markha valley trek is the most popular trek in Ladakh. This trek has gained popularity due to its accessibility from Leh, the beautiful, ever changing landscape, with narrow gorges & high peaks like Stok Kangri & Kang Yaze make this trek more interesting. Since the trek is through Hemis National Park there is a good chance of seeing wildlife such as bharals (blue sheep) & Marmots. Markha valley is one of the greenest valleys in Ladakh region.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Small Group
- One of the most beautiful & picturesque treks in the Ladakh region.
- The spectacular views from Kongmaru La pass
- Visit to Thiksey, Stok & Hemis Monasteries
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Moderate
- Maximum Altitude : 5150m/16,897 ft.
- Tour Duration : 09 Nights
- Trek Duration : 04 Nights/05 Days
- Best Season : Mid Jun. – Sep.
- Ex-Destination : Leh
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 05; Homestay – 04
- Food Plan : Leh – Bed & Breakfast basis, On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers and sightseeing in SUV / MUV.
- Leh: Bed & Breakfast basis.
- On the Trek: All Meals (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) included.
- Transfers and sightseeing in SUV / MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap.
- Trekking Permits fees
- Local guide on the trek
- Necessary porterage on the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to & from Leh
- Lunch & dinner expenses in Leh.
- Monument visit fees.
- Camera fees.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance, such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to hotel staff, drivers, guides, porters, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
- We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveler you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Leh (3500m/11,484 ft.)
Arrive in Leh & get a pick–up at the airport and drive to our hotel. The rest of the day is spent in acclimatization walks and an orientation walk in the markets of Leh. Overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Leh – Half Day Sightseeing
We have a late start and relax in the morning. Post lunch we step out for an orientation and acclimatization excursion around Leh. We then visit Leh Palace, Hall of Fame and head to Shanti Stupa which is a Buddhist white domed stupa on a hilltop in Changspa. We enjoy the panoramic view of the city at sunset. From here we leave the vehicles and head down to Leh taking some quite back roads and into the Leh market to wander around at leisure. Overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Leh – Full day sightseeing
This day is for taking in the sights of Leh and to use this as an opportunity to acclimatize further. We visit Hemis Monastery, Thiksey Monastery and Stok Palace. Overnight stay at the hotel in Leh.
Hemis stands on the western bank of the Indus River. The monastery also boasts of a very rich collection of ancient relics. The Hemis Monastery also serves as the venue of an annual festival, known as the Hemis Festival.
Thiksey houses one of the largest Buddhist statues, the 15-meter-tall Champa, the Buddha of Future and located strategically, today; Thiksey is one of the most frequently visited and most photogenic monasteries in Ladakh. About a hundred monks live here.
The Stok Palace is where the current royal family lives in Stok Palace. The museum at the Stok Palace has an intriguing collection of Buddhist art, weapons, jewelry and artifacts, including thangkas painted with colors derived from crushed precious stones. Also on display are the ceremonial head dresses or ’peraks’ of the erstwhile rulers of Ladakh. These headdresses are decorated with turquoise, lapis lazuli and coral and gold, making them an exotic sight.
Leh – Chilling (3250m/10,660 ft.; 65 km; 1½ - 2 hrs); Trek to Skiu (3400m/11,155 ft; 3½ - 4 hrs)
After breakfast we drive to Chilling. Trek starts from here, we cross the river and follow the easy trail past the village of Kaya to Skiu. We can visit Skiu monastery. Dinner and overnight stay at homestay in Skiu.
Skiu – Markha (3700m/12,140 ft.; 6 hrs)
Post breakfast we start our trek and proceed for 3-4 km to Pentse. We reach Markha Village after cris-crossing the river for a few times & passing through villages Chaluk & Tunespa. Dinner and overnight stay in homestay at Markha.
Markha - Tahungste (4150m/13,616 ft.; 5-6 hrs)
Our trail continues east along the Markha River passing through the villages of Umlung & Hankar, fairly large villages in the valley. After the Hankar Village we steadily enter the Nimaling Nalla coming from the left to join the Markha River to reach the village of Tahungste. Dinner and overnight stay at homestay in Tahungtse.
Tahungste - Nimaling (4720m/15,486 ft.; 4 hrs)
We start on the trail that continues to climb up above the village & soon we head to the southeast to reach the plains of Nimaling. Nimaling is at the base of Mt. Kang Yaze 6553m/21,500ft. which dominates the area. Nimaling being a meadow provides pastures in the summer for many yaks, sheep, goats, Dzos and horses. Nimaling is a wonderful campsite! Dinner and overnight stay at homestay in Nimaling.
Nimaling – Kongmaru La (5150m/16,897 ft.) - Shang Sumdo (4070m/13,354 ft.; 8 hrs); Drive to Leh (3500m/11,484ft.; 50 km; 1½ hrs)
Today we cross the last pass on our trek that is the highest, Kongmaru La 5150m/16,897 ft. It is a short climb to the pass but later a steep descent through a narrow but spectacular gorge to the village of Chogdo. Then walk to Shang Sumdo and further drive to Leh. Overnight stay in a hotel in Leh.
Leh – Rest day
We prefer this one rest day at the end of the trek so that we can always make use of this extra day as a contingency day in case of any delays, due to flight cancellation or any delays on the trek due to bad weather. Overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Early morning, drive to Leh airport, this time do make sure you have a window seat so that you may enjoy the stunning landscape of Ladakh as you head back to the plains.
End of arrangements…
On the Trek: In basic homestays on twin / multiple sharing basis.