Cycling Across The Himalayan Range (Manali – Leh)
July – Mid September
This tour takes us over the Himalayan range from the southern lush green valley of Manali in Himachal Pradesh to the arid high mountain desert of Ladakh. The dramatic changes in the landscape are best enjoyed on this road journey. We pass through small villages in Lahaul on the banks of Chandra & Bhaga Rivers, through the pea and potato fields and never ending plateaus of Sarchu and Pang to the flat deserted plains of Indus valley. Interaction with the locals and the nomads on the way only enhances our experience! The journey takes us over some high passes, such as Rohtang Pass, Baralacha La, Nakee La, Lachung La and Tanglang La, which is the second highest motor able pass in the world at 5328m/17,481 ft., next only to Khardung La at 5602m/18,380 ft. This journey is a real test of your mental, as well as physical fitness.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Strenuous
Group Size Small Group
- An opportunity to cycle in the Greater Himalayan Range.
- Cycle over 6 high altitude passes including Khardung La & Tanglang La.
- Cycling approx. 463 km. in 10 days in the high Himalaya’s.
- Type of Tour : Cycling
- Grade : Strenuous
- Maximum Altitude : 5602m/18,380 ft.
- Tour Duration : 14 Nights
- Cycling Duration : 09 Nights/10 Days
- Best Season : July – Mid September
- Ex-Destination : Start – Solang; End – Leh
- Accommodation (nights) : Hotel – 05, Camp – 09
- Food Plan : Solang & Leh – Bed & breakfast basis; Cycling – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers in small vehicles depending on group size.
- Solang & Leh – Bed & breakfast basis. Cycling – All meals includ
- Transfers as per the itinerary in small vehicles / coach
- Utility vehicle for cycles, equipments, etc.
- Backup vehicle.
- Inner line permit fees
- Mechanic for cycles
- One bucket hot water will be provided every evening, on the Cycling Section.
- One experienced local Tour Leader.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable.
- Travel to Solang and back from Leh.
- Transfers from Manali to Solang on Day 01 are not included.
- Airport transfer at Leh.
- Cycle hire charges.
- Camera fees.
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance, such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to helper, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveler you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Solang (2560m/8400 ft.)
Check in at the hotel in Solang by 11.00 am. Briefing meeting with the entire group and Tour Leader will be held at 4.00 pm for approx. 1 hr. Evening free. Overnight stay at hotel in Solang.
Solang – Cycling trial run
We suggest taking our bikes and do the dry run around Solang village, we can go up to Dhundi and then come back just to test the bikes. Overnight stay at hotel in Solang.
Solang – Marhi (3340m/10,959 ft.; 27.7 km)
This is first day of our cycling expedition. Easy road till village Palchan 8 km from Manali. From Palchan the climb begins towards Rohtang Pass. Being the first day we suggest camp at Marhi 12 km before Rohtang Pass. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Marhi.
Marhi – Sissu (3120m/10,237 ft.; 51.5 km)
We start our day by finishing our final climb of 12 km to Rohtang Pass 3978m/13,052 ft. From the top if the weather is clear we get beautiful views of the glaciers and snow clad mountains of CB range (Chandrabhaga Range) on the other side of the pass. The road descends 22 km down to Khoksar village and then a flat road of 15 km along the Chandra River to Sissu village. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Sissu.
Sissu – Jispa (3260m/10,696 ft.; 52.5 km.)
Easy day since the road continues along the Chandra River with gradual gradients in-between till Tandi. At Tandi we leave behind the Chandra River and continue up along the Bhaga River to Keylong, the district capital of Lahaul. We continue further along the Bhaga River for 21 km. to reach Jispa. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Jispa.
Jispa – Patseo (3811m/12,504 ft.; 31 km.)
Today again is a relatively easy day. From Jispa the road continues along the Bhaga River till Darcha. From Darcha the road climbs in switchback turns and gradually leads to Patseo. Good camping site for overnight stay. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Patseo.
Patseo – Sarchu (4300m/14,108 ft.; 48.6 km.)
The difficult section of our trip begins today. We would need to be more cautious since we would be staying for next 2-3 days on an average altitude of approx 4400m. From Patseo the hard climb begins for next 30 km. to Baralacha La 4920m/16,143 ft. We pass two small but beautiful lakes of Deepak Tal and Suraj Tal on our way. The views from the pass are rewarding. Road descends from the pass to the plains of Sarchu. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Sarchu.
Sarchu – Brandy Nallah (4120m/13,518 ft.; 27 km.)
This is an easy day. We continue on the plains of Sarchu to arrive at Brandy Nallah. Dinner and overnight at camp in Brandy Nallah.
Brandy Nallah – Pang (4510m/14,797 ft.; 50.2 km.)
We start the 10 km switchback climb to Nakeela Pass and then descend to Whisky Nallah. And again climb to Lachung La 5065m/16,618 ft. to descend to Pang. This is going to be the toughest day of our expedition. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Pang.
Pang – Debring (4700m/15,421 ft.; 51.9 km.)
Today is another easy day, with an initial climb to the More Plains/Pang Plateau; the flat section for 42 km. to reach Debring at the base of Tanglang La. The arid mountain view on both the sides of the road is a feast! Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Debring.
Debring – Upshi (3350m/10,991 ft.; 75.2 km.)
A gradual climb to the top of Tanglang La 5340m/17,521 ft. Though the climb is gradual, the altitude makes it difficult. Once on the top you are rewarded by some awesome views of the never-ending mountain ranges. This terrain continues, in a narrow gorge with extremely colorful mountains on both the side, till we exit at Upshi on the banks of Indus River. From Tanglang La descend for 29 km. to Rumtse and then the road continues to Upshi. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Upshi.
Upshi – Leh (3500m/11,484 ft.; 48.2 km.)
Easy flat road section till Leh. One can make stopovers to visit Thiksey and Shey monasteries on the way before reaching to Leh. Overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Leh – Rest day
Leh – Excursion to Khardung La & back
Drive to Khardung La (5602m/18,380 ft.), the world’s highest motorable pass (37 km.). Overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Early morning, checkout from hotel before 9.00 am depending upon your flight back.
End of arrangements…
|Place||Classic Hotel or Similar||Premium Hotel or Similar|
|Solang||Hotel Iceland||Negi’s Hotel Mayflower|
|Leh||Mahey Retreat||Ladakh Residency|