Cycling Across Kinnaur & Spiti Valley
This tour takes us over the Himalayan range from the southern lush green valley of Kinnaur in Himachal Pradesh and enters the Spiti Valley. Spiti Valley is the most northern part of Himachal Pradesh and runs parallel to the Tibet border. Spiti also means “Middle Country”. It lies between Tibet, Ladakh, Lahaul, Kullu and Kinnaur. It is a sub division of Lahaul & Spiti district with its headquarters in Kaza. We cycle through Kalpa, Tabo, Nako and Kaza and end our cycling at Solang. Enroute we cross the KunzhumLa & Rohatang Pass. Cycling through some of the toughest terrains at times on nonexistent roads braving rock falls at times adds to the overall thrills on this trip.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
- Cycle through some most photographed & scenic regions in the world.
- Cycle on the old Hindustan – Tibet road
- Travel over the famous and picturesque Kumzum & Rohtang Pass.
- Type of Tour : Cycling
- Grade : Strenuous
- Maximum Altitude : 4551m/14,932 ft.
- Tour Duration : 13 Nights
- Cycling Duration : 10 Nights/11 Days
- Ex-Destination : Start – Chandigarh; Ends – Manali
- Reporting Time & Venue : 12:00 hrs at Chandigarh Airport.
- Dispersal Time & Venue : 17:00 hrs at Manali Bus Stand.
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel/Guesthouse – 09, Tented Campsite – 04.
- Food Plan : All meals including dinner on day 01 to breakfast on day 14.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers in Tempo Traveller.
- Tour Cost per Person : INR 52,950/-
- Requisite Group Size : 15 pax
Accommodation & Food:
- Narkanda, Sarahan, Tabo & Manali: In a hotel on twin / triple sharing basis.
- Pooh, Kaza & Losar: In a Guesthouse on twin / triple sharing basis.
- Sangla & Nako: Deluxe Tented campsite on twin / triple sharing basis;
- Chhatru – In small camping tents on twin sharing basis.
- All meals including dinner on day 01 to breakfast on day 14 (meals include breakfast, lunch & dinner only).
- Utility vehicle for cycles, equipments, etc.
- 1 Backup vehicle.
- Complimentary Duffel bag & Cap.
- 1 T-Shirts
- Permit fees
- Mechanic for cycles
- One experienced cycling guide from Uberactive.
- One experienced Tour Leader from “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt.”
- Government Service Tax as applicable
- Travel to Chandigarh & back from Manali.
- Cycle hire charges (quoted separately)
- Travel from Manali – Delhi
- Monument visit fees.
- Camera fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance, such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to helper, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or for independent small groups you can check our packages.
Arrival at Chandigarh Airport; Drive to Narkanda (2740m/8990 ft.; 177 km; 6-7 hrs)
The meeting place for the group is Chandigarh. We get picked up either at the Airport or the Railway station and start for Narkanda. As we leave behind the plains the air gets cooler and we negotiate the winding mountain roads. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Narkanda.
Narkanda – Cycling dry run
We suggest taking our bikes and do the dry run around Narkanda to test the bikes. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Narkanda.
Narkanda – Sarahan (1000m/3281 ft; 65.5 km)
This is first day of our cycling expedition. We start by cycling down 1890m / 6201 ft. for nearly 37 km to the banks of Sutlej River at 850m / 2789 ft. From here we cycle for another 28.5 km and climb 150 m over the period, through Nirath, Duttanagar to reach Rampur. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Rampur Bushahr.
Sarahan - Sangla (2720m/8924 ft; 113 km)
Post breakfast we start our ride. Today we cycle all along the Sutlej river for 93.6 km through which we gain 800m / 2625 ft. to reach Karcham. From here it is a very steep ascent of 1020 m / 3347 ft. over 19.3 km to reach Sangla. Dinner and overnight stay at Camp in Sangla.
Sangla – Excursion to Chitkul (3400m/11,155 ft.; 23 km one way)
We cycle to Chitkul, the highest and the last village on the Indo – Tibetan trade route. The route is through the scenic Sangla valley on the left banks of the Baspa river. Here again we climb gently along the Baspa river and gain 680m or 2231 ft. over a distance of 23 km. We visit the temple and fort in Chitkul. From Chitkul we cycle back to our camp. In the evening we walk around and enjoy the beauty of the place. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Sangla.
Sangla - Pooh (2820m/9252 ft.; 50 km)
After breakfast we cycle down to Karcham at 1800m or 5906 ft. We descend nearly 1020m / 3347 ft. over 19.3 km. Here we cross over the bridge over the Sutlej and join national highway 5. From here on its a gentle climb of 200m or 656 ft. over a period of 15.1 km till the spot where there is a bifurcation on the left which climbs up rather steeply to Kalpa. From this bifurcation we climb 820m or 2690 ft. over 15.7 km. Kalpa is home to the Chilgoza tree and offers breathtaking views of the Kinner Kailash range. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel/Guesthouse in Kalpa.
Pooh Village – Nako (2700m/9023 ft.; 73 km)
Post breakfast we start from Kalpa and cycle down to Reckong Peo, Khwangi and further down to the main national highway 5 at 2000m. This is approx. a distance of 15.7 km wherein we cycle down 820m or 2690 ft. From here it is a steady climb of 700m, i.e. 2297 ft. over 56 km. Dinner and overnight stay in Guesthouse in Pooh Village.
Nako – Tabo (3280m/10,762 ft; 88.5 km)
Post breakfast we start by going down nearly 200m from Pooh Village to join the main highway. We travel for 11.5 km along the Sutlej River and then turn left to follow the Spiti River at 2600m. From here we cycle across Ka, Sumdo, Hurling, Lapcha to reach Tabo. We climb approximately 700m or 2297 ft. over a distance of 77 km. Evening visit the 1000-year-old Tabo monastery. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Tabo.
Tabo – Dhankar (3860m/12,665 ft.) - Kaza (3670m/12,041 ft.; 65.1 km)
After breakfast we cycle gently for 22.8 km, to reach an altitude of 3420m or 11,221 ft. i.e. we gain in height approx. 140m/459 ft. over 22.8 km. We reach a bifurcation on the main road on the right. From here it’s a steep upward climb of 440m or 1444 ft. over 8.6 km to reach Dhankar Gompa (31.4 km), which is located on the top of a hill. Dhankar is the traditional “Capital of Spiti”. After visiting the monastery in Dhankar we cycle down to Kaza (33.7 km). Dinner and
overnight stay at Guesthouse in Kaza.
Kaza – Excursion to Ki Monastery (3900m/12,796 ft.; 14.7 km) & Kibber Village (4140m/13,583 ft.) (40.4 km)
Post breakfast we start for Kye Monastery. We climb 230m or 755 ft. over a distance of 14.7 km from Kaza. Fine murals and a valuable collection Kangyur (ancient Buddhist texts) are its attractions. We continue further 6.6 km from Kye Monastery to the village of Kibber, a very steep climb to one of the highest inhabited villages in the world. Here we climb 240m or 787 ft. in 6.6 km. Perched on a vast stretch of land & surrounded by mountains of limestone rocks, the view from here is truly breathtaking. Cycle down to Kaza (19.1 km). Dinner and overnight stay at Guesthouse in Kaza.
Kaza - Lhosar (4100m/13,452 ft; 57.8 km)
Today post breakfast we cross the Spiti river and cycle through the villages of Rangrik, Khurik, Sumling, Moorang, Hull, Pangmo, Hansa all along the Spiti river to reach Lhosar village through some of the most spectacular scenery and landscape. A climb of 430m or 1411 ft. over 57.8 km. Dinner and overnight stay in Guesthouse / hotel in Lhosar.
Lhosar – KunzhumLa (4550m/14,929 ft.) – Chatru (4300m/14,108 ft.)
Today post breakfast we have to climb a high pass of KunzhumLa. The climb is 450m or 1476 ft. in 19.1 km. From here it is a steep down of 450m for 8.4 km to reach an altitude of 4100m. From here there is a bifurcation to the main road on the right which goes towards Chandratal. The route is more or less flat but narrow so as to let only one vehicle pass at a time. Dinner and overnight stay at tented campsite near Batal / Chatru.
Chhatru (3320m/10,893 ft.; 35.2 km) - RohtangLa (3980m/13,058 ft.) – Solang (2448m/8032 ft.; 69.7 km)
Post breakfast it is a again a flat road till the small road meets the main road coming down from KunzhumLa. From here it is 35.2 km over nonexistent roads passing through Batal to reach Chhatru. Today’s journey is besides the gushing Chenab river. We come down nearly 780m or 2559 ft. over a distance of 35.2 km.
Post lunch we start with a steady climb followed by ups and downs towards Gramphoo (3340m/10,959 ft.), a distance of 17.4 km. From Gramphoo we take the road going right climbing steeply to Rohtang La pass. We climb nearly 640m or 2100 ft. in 14.1 km. From here it is a steep descent of 38.2 km till Solang. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Solang.
Solang – Manali (13 km; ½ hr); Final Departure
Post breakfast by 11.00 – 12.00 start for Manali HPTDC Bus Stand. Afternoon at leisure. Final departure.
End of arrangements…
This tour involves cycling for 5-7 hours daily at high altitude and it is recommended for people with prior cycling experience and with an extremely good level of physical fitness. We do not recommend this tour to people with chronic problems like epilepsy and those related to blood pressure or heart or diabetes.
Day temperatures average between 20ºC – 25ºC and night temperatures can average between 10 ºC – 15ºC and occasionally can drop to below 5ºC. However the temperatures would vary a lot depending on the season and altitude.
Booking Amount – Rs. 15,000/- (Non-refundable)
By 16-Mar-2018 – Rs. 20,000/-
Balance payment before 15-May-2018.
Standard Cancellation Policy:
In the event of any cancellation by you, we would need a notification from you in writing. Booking amount of Rs. 15,000/- is non-refundable. Cancellation charges shall be levied as per the following terms:
• Cancellation received till 30-Apr-2018: 30% of tour price + cancellation charges for other services.
• Cancellation received from 01-May-2018 to 15-May-2018: 50% of tour cost + cancellation charges for other services.
• Cancellation received from 16-May-2018 to 31-May-2018: 70% of tour cost + cancellation charges for other services.
• Cancellation received from 01-Jun-2018 or No Show: 100% of tour cost + cancellation charges for other services.
Note: Over and above the above Standard Cancellation policy, all cancellation charges levied by the service providers such as internal airline cancellation charges, visa charges, insurance charges, package cancellation cost, etc. will have to be borne by you.
Our effort is to give a clear idea about the various aspects of the tour, to avoid any misunderstanding during the tour. We request you to please read the General Information, Booking Conditions, Travel Information for Himachal Pradesh, AMS Note and Kit List.