Chaddar Trek – A Walk On The Frozen Zanskar River
January – February
Ladakh is famed for its high passes, brackish water lakes, a stunning lunar landscape, a Buddhist culture warped in time, deep blue endless skies, and a landscape that is larger than life. It is an adventure seekers paradise. Many have said Ladakh is the most beautiful place in the world, but we seek a beauty even more surreal and attempt one of the most celebrated, difficult and exquisite trek of the region. We will walk on a frozen river bed, camp near caves along the way and fight the twin difficulties of extreme cold and altitude to get the unique ‘Chaddar’ experience, the walk over the frozen Zanskar River. A route patronized by the people of the Zanskar valley for hundreds of years, as their only contact with the outside world for trade, during the 8 months long freezing winter.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Treks And Walks
Activity Level Tough
Group Size Small Group
- Unique experience of trekking on the frozen Zanskar river.
- Amazing scenery, wild gorges and frozen waterfalls.
- Countryside trekking hospitality at its best.
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Tough
- Maximum Altitude : 3800m/12,468ft.
- Tour Duration : 10 Nights
- Trek Duration : 07 Nights/08 Days
- Best Season : – Feb.
- Reporting Time & Venue : 09:00 hrs at Leh airport
- Dispersal Time & Venue : Before 9:00 hrs from Hotel in Leh
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 03; Camping – 07
- Food Plan : Leh – Breakfast & Dinner basis; On the Trek – All meals included.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers and sightseeing in SUV/MUV
- Transfers and sightseeing in SUV/MUV.
- Complimentary Duffel Bag, Sack & Cap.
- Chaddar Entry Fee of INR 2500/-
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment on the trek.
- Hire charges for Sleeping Bags & Feather Jacket.
- One experienced local Tour Leader / local Guide(s) on the trek.
- Goods & Service Tax as applicable
- Travel to & from Leh
- Camera fees
- Monument visit fees
- Any expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry, liquor, etc.
- Any kind of insurance such as accident, theft, medical, evacuation, etc.
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary, because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control of “Countryside Adventure Holidays Pvt. Ltd.” and its associates.
- Items not specified in the above in “Cost Includes”.
We can customize a similar tour to suit your requirements or if you are an independent traveler you can check our Countryside Fixed Departures.
Arrival in Leh (3500m/11,484 ft.)
Report to the hotel by 12.00 noon. The day is spent resting at the hotel and a leisurely orientation walk in the evening in Leh market. To aid acclimatization it is necessary to have plenty of water along with rest. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
This day is for taking in the sights of Leh and to use this as an opportunity to acclimatize further. We visit Thiksey Monastery (one of the most visited and photogenic monastery in Ladakh which houses one of the largest Buddha statue, the 40 ft. tall Maitreya, the Buddha of Future) and Stok Palace (the place where the current royal family lives). Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Drive to Tilat Sumdo (63 km.; 1½ hrs); Trek to Bakula Caves (3180m/10,434 ft.; 2 ½ hrs)
After breakfast we drive to Tilat Sumdo. Just before Tilat Sumdo is Chilling, one of the most famous villages in Ladakh and known as a center for crafts, especially for its metalwork. In the afternoon meet your trekking crew and prepare for the trek. After lunch start our trek from Tilat Sumdo to Bakula Caves which is 2 ½ hrs, along the frozen river.
Over the next few days we will traverse a landscape of frozen waterfalls where the harsh winters have preserved the traditions and cultures of the local people in a frozen Shangri-La. The Zanskar Valley is the most isolated of the Trans-Himalaya valleys and that true sense of remoteness will become all the more evident as we approach our camp. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Bakula Caves.
Bakula Caves - Paldar Sumdo (3220m/10,565 ft.; 6–7 hrs)
After breakfast, we trek 6-7 hrs, to reach Paldar Sumdo. We trek along the edges of the frozen river, through a narrow mountain gorge. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Paldar Sumdo.
Paldar Sumdo - Dibyokma (3000m/9843 ft.; 4–5 hrs)
Post breakfast we start our journey towards Dibyokma it will take us around 4-5 hrs of walking. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dibyokma.
Dibyokma – Nerak Pullu (3800m/12,468 ft.; 5–6 hrs)
We head back to the river and walk along a canyon. A trek of 5-6 hrs through tremendous canyons which is inaccessible in any other season, leads us to Nerak Pullu. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Nerak Pullu.
Rest day at Nerak Pullu
Nerak Pullu - Dibyokma (4–5 hrs)
We walk back to Dibyokma. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dibyokma.
Dibyokma – Paldar Sumdo (4–5 hrs)
We walk further to Paldar Sumdo. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Paldar Sumdo.
Paldar Sumdo - Tilat Sumdo (6–7 hrs); Drive to Leh (63 km.; 1½ hrs)
Our last day and we walk to Tilat Sumdo to the road head. We cross the familiar territory our mind filled with the experiences of the last week of walking through this enchanted land. At Tilat Sumdo we get into our waiting vehicles to Leh for a much deserved bath and some good rest in warm cozy rooms. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
We check out of our hotel before 9.00 am depending upon your flight schedule.
End of arrangements…
- Place: Leh
- Classic Hotels or similar: Mahey Retreat
- Premium Hotels or similar: Ladakh Serai
- Meal Plan: Breakfast & Dinner basis